The IFP is a worldwide, interprofessional, interdisciplinary and
intercultural umbrella organisation for psychotherapy.
Historically, the IFP evolved from the International General Medical
Society for Psychotherapy (IGMSP) which was founded in 1934 by the
delegates of different national societies (Denmark, Germany, Holland,
Sweden and Switzerland.) Its first president was Carl Gustav Jung.
It was re-established as the International Federation for Medical
Psychotherapy (IFMP) by delegates of 13 nations in 1958, with Medard
Boss as its first President. The original objective of the federation
was to promote psychotherapy within the field of medicine.
However, in the meantime psychotherapy has come to include a wide
field of professions both in scientific research and in clinical
practice. Accordingly, the the IFP extended ist objectives. In 1991,
the federation was renamed International Federation for Psychotherapy
- The IFP is a worldwide umbrella organisation for psychotherapy.
The Federation is open to professional societies, institutions
and individual members.
- The IFP aims to promote, endorse and maintain high professional
and ethical standards of psychotherapy in practice, research,
- The IFP fosters a worldwide intercultural, interdisciplinary
dialogue and mutual learning among psychotherapists, psychotherapy
researchers, psychotherapeutic orientations, traditions, and related
- The IFP provides a platform for the development of theories,
methods and treatment approaches, and promotes the integration
of psychotherapeutic thinking in clinical and non-clinical fields.
The IFP realizes its aims by means of
- World congresses (every four years)
- Regional congresses
- Supporting and co-chairing the organization of scientific congresses
of their members and/or national umbrella organisations (and under
certain conditions supporting them also logistically and financially)
- Supporting scientific activities in research, practice, and
training, particularly activities of intercultural relevance
- Information transfer by constantly updated homepage and newsletters
IFP international federation for